Monday, September 2, 2013

Blue Jasmine

I have not seen a Woody Allen movie in a long time (I don't count Midnight in Paris.  He may have done it, but it wasn't a Woody Allen film, as I categorize them.  I think he just wanted to get paid to be in Paris.  But I digress...).  I usually give a film my litmus test of waiting 2-3 days to see if I'm still thinking about this, but I saw this film a few hours ago and just have to post on it.

THIS is Woody Allen!  At age 77, he's still got it.

Excellent movie.  Great casting.  Had Woody's elements of a real story with authentic characters and dialogue, comic wit mixed with drama, urban jazz scoring (probably by Woody's own New York quartet, he on clarinet).  Lots of layers to this.

This film is more drama than comedy, with Cate Blanchett in a TOUR DE FORCE performance.  My god - is she good!

Strong supporting cast including Alec Baldwin, Andrew Dice Clay (yes!), Louis C.K., Peter Sarsgaard and Sally Hawkins.

I want to talk more about this film, especially the ending, but you should see it first.  Let me know when you have!

5 comments:

  1. Valerie, I agree that Woody Allen is an innovator.

    I have been a fan going back to the 60s. Annie Hall is still a marvel. So too is Bananas. I really enjoyed his Paris jaunt, but i agree that it had little Woody Allen in it. Most folks can't get past his bizarre private life, specifically his marriage to a relative and a kid...

    Everyone is talking about CATE being nominated for Best Actress for her work in Blue Jasmine.

    Nice review. You have convinced me that I must run out and see it. As soon as I do, I"ll post a more intelligent response.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more! Loved this film and Cate B was amazing in a difficult role. Although their parts were small, the young boys were also great (probably more due to direction than acting). Loved the scene in diner with their aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, great scene! I have known Jasmine. I, too, have sat next to her on planes, or had a dinner sabotaged by such narcissism. It's exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Valerie: Upon your recommendation, I went and saw the film. What a gem! Now that I have seen it, please provide any more commentary you wish. I found the film strongly feminist, in fact one of the best ever. The flick casts men in a very negative light! The acting is superb. Not a weak moment. Cate should earn herself an Oscar nomination, and possibly Alec too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think my space is limited here, so we might have to continue this when we all get together soon, but that last scene with her is a snapshot of today's "nouveau poore." She is now a member of the homeless. Dreadful, pathetic heap. Feminist theme, yes, along with so many others, including how the mentally ill wind up on the streets. Such a sad portrayal of a multi-layered person. My sympathies bounced in and out. (She could have maintained her lifestyle with just a messy and profitable divorce. She chose this end, due to her woman-scorned act of vengeance.) Mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete