Monday, October 21, 2013

Gravity



Hi readers...and welcome to high altitude fun!  I'm never the spoiler, so I have to report obliquely on this film.  I don't want to give anything away!

Imagine, however, that you're floating in space like that figure in the picture above.  You are tethered safely to your craft, and in zero-gravity, you're doing some nice work on your space station.  How peaceful and other-worldly!

Then ka-boooooom!  Something goes majorly wrong!  Uh-oh!

OK, now consider that with the fanciest effects perhaps ever coming out of Hollywood, you are somehow that person out there in space in the middle of a terrible emergency.  No need to imagine, dear readers.  Somehow, the special effects guys put you in that spacesuit!

YIKES!

Hahahaha.  Yes, this film is a wonder of special effects.  Shot in 3-D beyond your wildest imagination, the flick puts you in space!  Woweeeee!

And just which actress is in the spacesuit with you?  None other than the ultra-talented Sandra Bullock.  Sandra got me at Speed.  Remember her with Officer Keanu Reeves trying to keep that bus above 50?

Well, Sandra got us again!  She's fantastic in this sci-fi thriller.

Problem is, it's not really sci-fi.  What happens out there is well within the realm of reality.

Piqued your interest?  RUN out and see this whopper!  It's an incredible ride.

A+    Not to be missed!  And a must-see on the largest screen available, which is IMAX.  It's loud, real, and wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. You saw it in IMAX? Geeze, I thought I was brave to see it in 3-D!

    Glad reviewed this, as I am a film blog slug these days.

    I really enjoyed this ride, and the 90 minutes were just right; about all one wants to spend suspended in zero gravity. Because I truly felt this one. I am still having flashbacks (seriously)! My favorite pop scientist, Neil DeGrasse Tyson wrote an op-ed on the film's unrealistic scientific flaws (fiction), but then followed with another expounding on how it also was very realistic in some parts.

    Either way, I was MOST glad to re-enter terra-firma after exiting the theatre. Like I said, a FUN RIDE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imax was great! Loud and in-your-face! Glad to hear you enjoyed the ride too. It is a remarkable film achievement. Between amazing 3-D and extraordinary high-tech camera work, the movies are taking us into their world more and more. Very exciting developments in cinema. I did not want to be a spoiler, and still don't want to be, but I would make one negative observation: very little character development. I would have welcomed some scenes on terra firma before the voyage to really get to know and like the characters. Then we would have felt even more moved with their struggles. Do you agree?

    ReplyDelete