Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Hunger Games (BOOK)


OK, this is a film blog, agreed. But the movie The Hunger Games just came out a day ago, and I promise to see it very soon. Since it's based on the book, I am taking slight liberties here in commenting on the novel.

I was woefully ignorant of the book that came out in 2008. Where was i? Immersed in the great Lehmann Brothers fiasco and watching the U.S. of A. nearly go bust financially.

Recently a huge wave of media blitz hit that shook me out of my stupor. Everyone I meet asks, what did you think of the book The Hunger Games? Well, I jolly well ran out to read it, because this former academic can't be left in the literary lurch!

Oh my, what a book! Oh my, what a story! NO spoiler, so I can't say very much. But think Lord of the Flies. Think 1984. Think Brave New World. Think gladiators! Think people's thirst for blood! Think the future...

The author, Suzanne Collins, takes many of the futuristic/apocalyptic works and weaves them into a gripping, believable tale. What a literary masterpiece. Great plotting, outstanding characters, excellent inner voice. Amazing originality.

You'll love the protagonist, a 16 year old female who takes no prisoners (literally!)

Run out and read the book.

Meanwhile, I'll get over to the local theatre so I can make a proper movie review and hopefully deem the film as good as the book.

4 comments:

  1. Although I seem to be the only one in the universe who hates The Hunger games, besides my intolerant dad with Alzheimer's, man this 1st book bugged me!!! I had high expectations and was excited to read it. I quickly grew bored. I thought the premise was dumb and ridiculous. Most of all though since the target audience is 4th-10th graders, i am deeply disturbed about the starving families and the killing children for sport themes. As an adult I do appreciate your analysis of the book and metaphors for these themes. But since all the kids i know are devouring the books and running to the thwarted, well I'm a little scared for them. Hopefully their reading comprehension is bad and they enjoy the relationship aspect, the actors and the scenery. I give it an f- with that Tipper Gore censor rating for children under 18, and a c- for adult interest and blood/kill/death/depression themes. Valerie,are you team David or Team Georgia on this one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assuming Anonymous (and invisible) is Georgia (;-) I guess I am on Team Clueless! Now, I don't feel compelled to jump on pop culture bandwagons, but I at least like to recognize the wagon when it comes to town! I don't know the book, I don't know the movie. Just seeing long movie lines and they're comprised of jr. high kids. So I'm trying to come at this from the back door. I hate being out of the loop. haha

    Having said that, by the looks of the genre, I'll pass. I can't get into blood, guts, and science fiction (sorry, David). And David, with your raw sensitivity to anything negative with children, your thumbs-up surprises me.

    But then again, theater offerings are so lame just after Oscars, and I am craving popcorn. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgia, so much fun when you disagree! You are indeed a feisty and independent thinker...wish we had more participants like you on our blog. Your points about this being inappropriate for kids is valid. Yes, I want to keep them safe from the garbage of the world. Frankly, until you educated me about this being a book targeted for the young, I had no idea...just thought it was a fantastic book for adults! I have to admit to major ignorance, like Valerie, about the entire background on Hunger Games. Until you asked me about it, I said, huh? The kid issue aside, GA, did you see any redeeming value in the book? I found it fascinating, because it said so much about humanity...how totalitarianism can crush others and how violence in people is so pervasive. From a literary point of view, and as a wannabe novelist, I was dazzled by the tone, plot, and style. Next stop: the movie! Will report on it soon...and if I compliment it, I expect to hear more of your wrath, GA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie: Yeah, I was in the dark too. But don't be afraid to step into the fray here! This Hunger Games thing is much, much more than sci-fi or wanton violence with no redeeming value (which I do enjoy sometimes!). No, English Teachder, this book is up there with the classics. I have heard that many schools are making it required reading for their upper high school students. It's just got so much to it. PLEASE read the book and report back. If you hate it, you and Georgia can gang up on me!

    ReplyDelete