Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Quartet



Critics raved about this movie.  Everyone told me to run out and see it.  I finally got to it on pay-per-view, and sorry, folks, it was just not my cup of tea.

Of course, I've never really enjoyed films that go into nursing homes and try to charm us.  Is there anything truly charming about these places?  Someday there, perhaps, go I.  Yeah, folks, it's the truth.  We might all be there.  Do you want to ponder that?

Don't get me wrong.  The elderly can be affable and interesting.  But if I am going to visit a home, I'll go see a family member, thank you.

No spoiler, because it's fairly clear from the cover and the hype what the movie is about: a special home exists for the formerly musically talented.  Is there such a place in reality?  I doubt it.  But go figure.  Hollywood wants a bit of suspension of disbelief.

I'm okay with the premise.  I'm not okay with the story.  All these talented folks must re-kindle their fire and get back in touch with their musical selves.  After all, they were once so great.  So, will they succeed?

Who cares?

The big issue is that these poor folks are old.  There's no getting around that.  And getting old is sad.  Sure, it takes a positive attitude in those twilight years to keep on truckin'.  As the saying goes, getting old is not for sissies.

The good points?  Great actors:  Maggie Smith and Geoff Rush.  Great music: Wonderful arias and choruses.

But watching the elderly struggle with their issues of senility and loneliness does not strike me as a solid evening of entertainment.

The moral of the story:  Simple.  Don't get old!  If you do, don't look back.  Well, do look back if you're trying to discover your old self.  Wait!  Shouldn't we strive to discover a new self as we age?

Bottom line:  Skip this one.  Ignore the rave reviews.  Unless you enjoy watching older folks suffer.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I COMPLETELY agree! In fact, I was seeing it alone in a theatre some months back and just walked out halfway through (after all, my motto at my age is "don't waste my time"). The fact that it was the anniversary of losing me own dear mum didn't help.

    Friends who saw it later assured me it had a "good" ending. Yea, l expected nothing less. Just didn't need the whole thing.

    Can't add any more to your review because it's as if I wrote it. Well-said.

    ReplyDelete