Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Book Thief


This period piece takes us into a small village in Germany during the war, where food is scarce, bombs fall, Nazi propaganda is everywhere, and traumatized folks seek solace in the comfort of their homes.  From 1938 to the end of the war, we view the conflicts of normal folks as they strive to figure out how to survive, both physically and mentally, in the midst of madness.

No spoiler, of course.  But the setting is fascinating:  An older couple, played brilliantly by Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson, adopt a young girl because they need "credits" from the government for more food.

The waif, played perfectly by the up and coming French star Sophie Nelisse, has to adjust to the quirks of the older couple.   They too have to adjust to her.  Everyone grows in the process.

Well, it turns out the girl, Liesl, loves books.  How does she get them?  Check out the title!  Don't worry, she's not a serious thief.  But she is crazy about reading.  The film offers contrasting themes: while she lives to read books, the Nazis live to burn them.

Now add to that enticing plot the fact that this couple is "righteous," bravely hiding out a young Jewish man and risking their lives in doing so.  Simple in their ways, the elderly pair come to grow on you as the film shows you small details of life during a horrendous period in history.

Is this a masterpiece?  Not quite.  Something is lacking.  Can't really say what it is without getting into details that I can't divulge.

Suffice it to say that the acting is extraordinary, the story gripping, and the setting educational.  The film has a dour tone, but it avoids the true horrors of the Nazi era.

Grade of A-  The film keeps you thinking long after you've left the theatre.






5 comments:

  1. I have looked forward to seeing this film. I'll let ya know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this movie this week. I liked it, but share your take that "something is lacking." You go first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, what is lacking? Most of all, fuller character development. I would have liked to know the family better. Second, I found it a cop-out that the family would hide the Jewish young man then turn him out in the cold. This plot flaw kept us from truly considering the family "righteous" Christians. Treatment of Jews: a bit too whitewashed. The Nazis were brutal, and somehow their brutality did not come through fully enough. On the positive side: the images of the town full of Nazi flags was chilling. The book burning too. OK, your turn, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree here.

    I saw this film alone and actually left 2/3 through. First, I was bored. It's beautifully effective in cinematography and direction, but frankly dull. I just never felt like I was getting to know these people. I love Geoffrey Rush, but he didn't hold me here. And when the film began to get Nazi-tense, I had to leave, because I am just too close to this subject now and hyper-sensitive. I cannot bear it now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boring...good description, Valerie. I rarely use that word. But there was just not enough pizzazz to keep our interest...in spite of an interesting plot.

    ReplyDelete