Sunday, December 15, 2013

Dallas Buyers Club


Sometimes it just takes one role of a lifetime to kick an actor out of his complacency in settling for unchallenging, static roles.

In other words:  I take back everything I ever thought about Matthew McConaughey.  The dude can ACT!  Who knew?

Dallas Buyers Club is a film not to miss.

DBC chronicles the true story of Ron Woodruff, a promiscuous, bull-riding, Texas good-ol-boy who contracts AIDS back when we all feared a true plague in America, almost as much as most people feared homosexuals.

Fighting to prolong his life and others', he begins the ultimate start-up company out of the trunk of his car, distributing as yet FDA-unapproved drugs.

Equally compelling and riveting in his performance is Jared Leto, who, playing a transsexual, actually steals scenes from the captivating Woodruff character.

McConaughey (as well as Leto)  dramatically altered his appearance by dropping a tremendous amount of weight for this role.  It is mesmerizing.  I truly forgot who it was.

This was a tough film for me to watch for personal reasons.  David knows.  But I didn't even cry; it's not sappy at all.

Hope I've gotten your attention.  This is a truly powerful film that will stay in your consciousness for days to come.  Go see a quality film!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a winner, Valerie. Yes indeed, we both lost a friend in the teaching world to AIDS, and the tragedy of it back then was that he could not come out about being gay or having the illness. Times have changed, I think, but society has a long ways to go. Matthew Mc is a fine actor, I agree. He was great in his very first big role as the sadistic madman in Texas Chainsaw Massacre. He knocked out socks off in A Time to Kill, and I really enjoyed his portrait as the arrogant lawyer in The Lincoln Lawyer. I commend any actor who takes on controversial topics. I am reminded of Tom Hanks in Philadelphia. I will indeed take your recommendation and get out and see this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete