Thursday, April 4, 2013

Savages


I got inspired to see this film by reading the book.  Before departing on a ten hour flight overseas, I picked up what looked like an easy read.  I was gripped by the story for almost the entire flight!

Before turning to the film, I must say that the style of the novel was one of the most original I have ever encountered: a staccato, fast-paced, hip, cool, narrative that simply got me caught up in a story that blew me away!  (Valerie, my English-teacher buddy, the book is a must!)

On to the film:  If you want different, bizarre, engaging, and mostly gritty, Savages is for you.  No spoiler ever, but I can tell you the basics. Two guys, old chums, are as different as night and day. One is a peacenik, a hippie love-your-neighbor type, who travels the world trying to save the poor. The other is a former marine, tough as nails, prone-to-violence type, who figures that might makes right.

They both love a very attractive young lady, and she loves them both back.  Yeah, it's a menage-a-trois, but with a twist:  The threesome make their living by growing the classiest dope this side of the Mississippi!

All is well in quirky dopeland in Laguna Beach, where they live, until the bad boys, a Mexican drug cartel, try to move in on their territory.

Then all hell breaks loose!

OK, enough on the plot. Check out the amazing actors: Benicio del Toro, John Travolta, Salma Hayek, and the budding starlet Blake Lively.  Oh, and the film is directed by Oliver stone.

I would not be surprised if Del Toro picks up an Oscar Supporting Role nod for his stupendous, creepy, over-the-top portrayal of a nasty drug lord.  Benicio does bad like few guys I've seen.

This film is not for the weak of heart. Expect a lot of blood and gore, and violence that makes shoot-em-up movies seem tame.

Grade of A+  

I could not stop watching this flick, which captured all the emotion and allure of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment